Sunday, August 1, 2010

Return from Hiatus!

I doubt anyone will read this because it has been so long since my last post that you all just as soon forgot that I was ever giving this blogging thing a whirl. Truth is, as my last post suggested, two months can indeed be an eternity in the mormon world. For the last two months I have been busy attempting to save the youth of the latter-days and I finally have my freedom back! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the little tikes, but it will be nice to do what I want on Wednesday night instead of being subject to consuming luke-warm mediocre pizza with hormone-crazed, teenage girls--I love ALL of them, truly I do!!! But a return to the life of a twenty-something spinster is much welcomed.

Much has changed since my hiatus, but that is not the focus of my blog. As already mentioned, I have spent the last two months in gospel seclusion, otherwise known as a program called Especially For Youth. The youth need counselors that are older and wiser telling them what to do and that's where I came in. I was not the only one, obviously, but oh, the things a bunch of marriage-hungry, hormone crazed twenty-somethings will do! I would love to share many of the stories of the "hooking up" that took place, but alas, I love those people and would hate to have them disown me into the eternities. So instead the topic of this blog--written like a true English major only two paragraphs in-- is age. For those who know me intimately, they know that this is quite the sensitive topic now-a-days. But again, that's not what is important. What is, is that too many twenty-somethings are becoming thirty-somethings and they do not seem to be concerned... Should they be? I emphatically declare, "YES!" Especially if they are gentlemen.

This idea was sparked by a few happenings that occurred to me over the last few months. First, I was set up on a blind date (remember how those who love me need to save me from my disease better known as singleness) with a fabulous young man. I will say that he was handsome and it was delightful, with full sincerity, none of that sarcastic stuff I am known for. We joked, we laughed, we witted. We have kept in contact with the occasional text message inside joke and playful bantering. I actually wouldn't mind going out with the gent again. But here's the thing: he seems to be in no rush. Hmmm, that is not coming out right. Allow me to explain. He is on the last leg of his twenty-something-ness, if you know what I mean (just in case, 29 is the number you are looking for) and it is my firm belief that he has past the point in his mormon dating career where he can saunter around when it comes to finding his eternal mate. The boy has been home from the mish for eight years! It is definitely time to buckle down and take a knee. At any rate, I have been bold with this boy: told him I think he is great and that I would fancy a second go around if he felt the same way to which he recited a list of excuses. I live by the pink Bible and therefore can be fairly certain there will not be a second date. I do not approve. Not that he won't go on a second date with me, that my friends, is NOTHING new. What I don't approve of is his inability to commit and DATE or stop pulling me, or other ladies, around.

On that same note, one of my good friends has had a similar situation. She has been dating a boy for about seven weeks. Keep in mind that she was also EFYing, so dates are limited to Friday nights and the occasional sneak out during free-time, regardless, I would argue that the two had really hit it off. Well summer is quickly coming to an end and they will be moving to different parts of the state to complete school and start their careers, etc. He doesn't want to do the long distant thing. She does. The problem I see is that he is closer to thirty than he is to twenty and I think that if he has found a great thing he should do whatever it takes to seal the deal! I just don't understand. Don't men know that women have a bit of a smaller window to multiply and replenish the earth? It seems to me that our generation has become too complacent in "hanging out" and it is taking us too long to reach the alter.

A topic for another time: How young is too young?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I should go on tour with my crap or get off the pot speach. How about you start making me a list of names, I will tie them up with the cords to their playstations and after a few days of my "listen buddy, you are no prize and you better get focused" bootcamp they will be singing a different tune.

    I need to know how young is too young also because I really think Maximus is ready to commit. You like gingers right? :) I could be your mother-in-law... I love it!

    ReplyDelete